Below are annotations for Nightmares of Providence Bonus Terrors (a digital-only Providence Compendium Kickstarter Campaign add-on, 16 pages plus 2-sided front cover – all black and white, dated December 2020, released June 25 2015)
Artists: Jacen Burrows, Sebastian Fiumara, Daniel Gete, Matt Martin, Juan Jose Ryp, Ivan Rodriguez, and Dheeraj Verma. No writer listed.
Note: some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
General: Bonus Terrors features various full-page artworks inspired by the work of H.P. Lovecraft. Several of the images are from earlier Avatar Press Lovecraft-related comics, though appear here without the lettering.
Cover – no specific annotations
- A version (with full blacks) of this Burrows art appeared on page 126 of Dreadful Beauty, where it is listed as “Yuggoth Cultures Illustration.”
- The upper image depicts, left to right, HP Lovecraft, Alan Moore, and perhaps Cthulhu.
- This Sebastian Fiumara image originally appeared in Yuggoth Creatures #2 – as page 4 of “Dreams of the Madhouse” by Anthony Johnson. Johnson’s script for the page describes it as “Nyarlathotep holding the Shining Trapezohedron, in his long boney fingers. He has his head thrown back, his eyes wide and his mouth open in a shout of triumph. Inside the gem, the swirling mists and stars have coalesced into the form of Yog-Sothoth… behind them all, in a starry void, hangs Azathoth again; a fiery ball, burning furiously, almost filling the page.”
- This Matt Martin image is a version of what originally appeared in Yuggoth Creatures #1 – as P4p2 of “Blue Water” by Anthony Johnson. It depicts R’yleh.
- This Matt Martin image is a version of what originally appeared in Yuggoth Creatures #1 – as P3p2 of “Blue Water” by Anthony Johnson. It depicts Dagon.
- This Dheeraj Verma page originally appeared in Yuggoth Creatures #3 – as page 5 of the final untitled framing sequence by Anthony Johnson. It depicts “Nyarlathotep in his alien form.”
- This Dheeraj Verma page originally appeared in Yuggoth Creatures #3 – as page 7 of the final untitled framing sequence by Anthony Johnson. Johnson’s script for the page describes it as “Cthulu rises from the water, vast and terrible. He fills the panel immense in size – about half a mile tall.”
- This Juan Jose Ryp page originally appeared in Yuggoth Creatures #3 – as page 4 of “The Onyx Pillar” by Anthony Johnson. It depicts the Plateau of Leng.
- From here to the end of Bonus Terror are new (apparently previously unpublished) images by Daniel Gete.
Pages 8-9 – no specific annotations
- This appears to depict a Deep One hybrid from Lovecraft’s “The Shadow Over Innsmouth.”
Pages 11-12 – no specific annotations
- As noted, these are unused pages done by Jacen Burrows for the sequential adaptation of The Courtyard. Portions of these pages appeared in The Courtyard Companion – though with gray tones added.
- This unused Burrows Courtyard artwork also appears (with gray tones) in The Courtyard Companion – where it is described as an “alternate ending to The Couryard.” Companion notes that “Moore ultimately decided on a different approach for the final scene.”
- This appears to part of several (apparently four or five) interlocking Ivan Rodriguez images that appear on pages 4-7 of Nighmares of Providence #1.
- The central figure resembles the Jacen Burrows’ Deep One policeman on the Neonomicon Hornbook C2E2 Edition variant cover.
> go to Annotations Index